10/19/08

Five

Friday is October 24th. It was five years ago on that day that I took a chance and went to a company Halloween Party. How is going to a company gathering taking a chance, you may ask?

Well, I’m not much of a social butterfly. I generally feel awkward or uncomfortable and I’m often the quiet guy in the corner. However, this time would be different. I had been invited by a girl, one that I quite fancied. She had mentioned how much she would like to see me there. I’ve never been good at picking up on signals, but I figured this was about as clear as I could ask for that someone of the opposite sex would like to spend some time to get to know me. So I ventured forth to the American Legion Post near Cherry Street.

I was nervous. What if she was just being nice? I probably wouldn’t have anything to say either. I walked into the building and started scanning the crowd. It wasn’t long before I saw her. She was dressed in a dark cat costume, complete with painted whiskers and fuzzy ears. I stood for a few minutes and just watched her dance, half hoping she wouldn’t see me. She soon saw me, though, and as soon as she did her smile widened. Heartened by this (and a hug) I was soon attached.

The evening progressed, a mixture of my trepidation (I still wish I’d danced) and this stunning woman continuing to want to spend time with me. We talked about everything. I couldn’t get enough of that laugh or that smile. She had so many interesting stories, anecdotes, observations…this was the night I fell in love.

The evening drew to a quick close when the alcohol that this lady had consumed decided it would be best to return to sender. I did the only thing I knew to do, which was to provide support, strength, and run blocker to ensure she had as much time as she needed. When she didn’t want to return to the situation that had prompted her to drink so much in the first place, I offered her a place to crash.

Tucking her in on the couch, I felt blessed to have been in the right place at the right time. I was able to help. The fact that I was able to help this woman who set my heart aflame was an added bonus. Soon after, we were an inseparable couple and a year and a half later, we were married.

The last five years have held the happiest of times for me. Not a day goes by do I look at her and thank God for her. Indi, you have enriched my life far more than I could’ve hoped for and continue to make me want to be a better person. I can’t wait to see what the next five years holds.

I love you yesterday, today, and forever.

No comments: