4/19/08

Mars Volta Concert

I attended a concert on Tuesday, one features The Mars Volta (no openers) at the historic Cain's Ballroom. I have let the concert simmer a bit before commenting on it, but feel the time is now right.

First let me say I am glad I went. These cats definitely dance to the beat of a different drummer and there is some true talent there...the drummer is amazing. That being said, I do not believe I will be attending any future concerts.

I am not a big fan of cacophony. You know, like the end bit of 'A Day in the Life'. It just grates on me. Mars Volta thrives on this. The majority of the concert was like one huge jam session and there was a lot of stuff I didn't really care for. The experimental nature of the Volta's sound is tolerable for a short period of time, but they played for two and a half hours. After the first hour I was bored. It all started to sound like the same song.

Everyone else had a good time, though, and rightfully so. They're all big fans. I was on the fence. I can now say, confidently, that I am not a fan. Good luck to ya'll, but it just ain't my cup of tea.

No comments: